Production of Cannabis
The production of cannabis in New Brunswick is controlled by the New Brunswick government under the Cannabis Control Act, SNB 2018, c 2.
Distribution of Cannabis
The New Brunswick government maintains exclusive legislative and regulatory control over the distribution of cannabis in New Brunswick. Cannabis NB Ltd., a subsidiary of Alcohol New Brunswick Liquor Corporation, was created under the Cannabis Management Corporation Act, SNB 2018, c 3 as the exclusive distributor and retailer of recreational use cannabis, or cannabis that is not used for medical purposes.
Retail Sale of Cannabis
The sale of cannabis is regulated under the Cannabis Control Act, SNB 2018, c 2. Currently in New Brunswick, retail recreational use cannabis is sold only by Cannabis NB in 20 retail locations across the province and via its website. In its first fiscal year of operation, 95.8% of Cannabis NB sales were made in its retail stores, and the remaining 4.2% were made online.
Cannabis NB sells the product in a variety of forms, including dried flower, pre-rolled, beverages, concentrates, oils and caps and topicals.
General Prohibitions of Cannabis
• Minimum Age: Consumers who are 19 years of age or older are entitled to purchase cannabis or cannabis accessories. No person who is 19 years of age or older can consume cannabis unless the person is in lawful possession of the cannabis and is in a private dwelling and has obtained the consent of the occupant, is on vacant land and has obtained the consent of the owner or occupant, or is in a place prescribed by regulation and in the circumstances prescribed by regulation, if any.
• Home Growing: A person who is 19 years of age or older may cultivate, or offer to cultivate, cannabis provided it is cultivated in his or her dwellinghouse and the person is in lawful possession of the cannabis seeds or cannabis plants, the cannabis plants; if cultivated outdoors, are surrounded by a locked enclosure having a height of at least 1.52 m; and, if cultivated indoors, are cultivated in a separate locked space.
• Interprovincial Movement of Cannabis: No restrictions, but subject to the public possession limit of 30g of dried cannabis (or equivalent) per person for adult-use.